Sabbath Accommodation Request - Outside CA
City, State, Zip Code
RE: Name of Member
I am a member in good standing and in regular attendance at the (your church name). I am requesting to be nonscheduled on my religious Sabbath in harmony with the Old and New Testament teachings of the Bible.
I am unable to perform secular activities, employment or otherwise, during the 24 hour period from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday. I do not request to have the Sabbath off in order to have an extra day at home to catch up on odd jobs or to engage in recreation or amusements. Secular activities—shopping, sports, employment, entertainment—are laid aside. The Sabbath is sacred to me and I devote these hours to God.
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, 42 U.S.C. § 2000(e) requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation for employee’s religious observances.
The Federal regulations recommend the following as accommodation options:
1. Change employee to a shift or department that does not operate on Friday night or Saturday.
2. Swap shifts with another employee.
3. Work on Sunday or holidays in place of Saturday.
4. Work a flexible schedule so that he can leave the job on Friday afternoon ___ minutes before sundown.
5. Make a temporary accommodation while a permanent one is being arranged.
Whatever adjustments would need to be made, you can count on me to do everything I can to cooperate fully. I have the interest of the company at heart. If the matter could be settled at an early date I would greatly appreciate it for it is something that means a great deal to me. I welcome the opportunity to discuss this matter further at your convenience.