January 6, 2004 - California Land Use Bill Introduced
By Alan J. Reinach
HEARINGS NEXT WEEK: IMMEDIATE ACTION IN SUPPORT NEEDED!!!!
Two important bills were amended this week that would require local land use authorities to respect the constitutional rights of churches to obtain and use land in conducting worship and engaging in ministry.
These bills are urgently needed to remedy a long history of discrimination against religious uses. Under current law, adult book stores are treated better than churches under most zoning schemes!
AB 470 and AB 600 will be heard next week in Local Government Committee, on January 14th. Your support of these bills is urgently needed now.
Detailed information about the bills, as well as a sample letter that can be sent to YOUR Assembly Member in about 60 seconds, are available on our website.
WHAT TO DO NOW!!!
- All Californians are urged to take 60 seconds, and send an e-mail to their Assembly Member. Go to our site and follow the links from our front page dealing with LAND USE BILLS. A sample letter is ready for you to send.
- Any pastors, elders or other church leaders who have stories to tell about land use problems their church has experienced, are urged to draft their own letters. These should be submitted by e-mail to your own Assembly Member, as well as by mail or Federal Express. Please send a copy of any letters to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1228 N Street, Suite 1, Sacramento, CA 95814.
- The deadline for submitting your written support to the Local Government Committee is Friday, January 9 at 5:00 p.m. Their fax number is 916-319-3959 and address is 1020 N Street, Room 157, Sacramento, CA 95814. [Please continue to send e-mails through our site even after the Friday deadline.]
- Everyone is invited to attend the Local Government Committee Hearing in Room 126 of the State Capitol, Wednesday January 14th at 1:30 p.m. to show your support for these vitally important bills.
- All can PRAY for Committee approval.